Wednesday 23 January 2013

Adios WP

I've been blogging since 2002. First I maintained the whole web thing myself, designed everything about the web front end and typed the posts directly into the web design application (Dreamweaver) before uploading. Then I moved to WordPress because it did all the design stuff itself or you installed plug-ins, but you still have a lot of control. I have used WordPress for a lot of years now but have always struggled with it. The interface is a bit clunky. Posting is a multiple step process. Managing and embedding media into posts and maintaining an aesthetic appeal isn't what it should be in this GUI age. When I needed a productive platform for my Creative Crow site I turned to Blogger. The Blogger interface and design is entirely focused around producing content,  not the design although it does look pretty. This means losing an element of control but I was happily productive. I did keep my WordPress based site to satisfy the internal control freak. The trouble was, I found the longer I worked with Blogger the less I used the WordPress site. Then I was set a task. Create a two image slideshow in WordPress. This is how I envisaged that happening:

  • Create a new post
  • Click Add media and select the two images
  • Select that I want these to be a slideshow and specify the delay between changes
  • Click add Slideshow
  • Preview and move on

Four hours later not one of the solutions worked. Not a single one. You update the software for the latest media interface and the gallery options aren't available. You install the not mentioned gallery plug-in but the slideshow option doesn't appear in posts. Other slideshow packages want you to edit the post's core code. You might say, But John you're a techie, surely you could make it work? And I'd say. Well yes, but that's not the issue. I've got a loud of things far more intriguing than adding two images to a slideshow to consume my time. Any platform that makes such a simple task that difficult is quite frankly redundant.

Which is why my main John Potter blog is now here on Blogger.

I hope it works out and I hope to see you here again, soon.

No comments: