Sunday 12 May 2013

The Fast Diet - Fast Day Two (Wednesday May 8)

So we come to the second Fast day and this time it would comprise a single 600 calorie meal.

My Fast Diet introduction is here
My notes on Fast Day 1 are here

Wednesday May 8 - Fast Day 2


Possibly a lot more delicious than
it looks

Meal One - 14:30

At the beginning of the week I cooked up a pot of Chilli, mixed it with rice and separated it into four portions of 600 calories each. It is delicious, even more so when you haven't eaten for 18 hours.

Hunger

The last proper meal I had before this fast day was at 14:00 on Tuesday (a normal eating day). I met with some friends that Tuesday night and still felt full so skipped dinner and snacked through the evening. BIG MISTAKE.

Come the Wednesday morning I was really hungry. Not a mild easily dismissed hunger but a more distracting, insistent need. It lasted through until I ate the Chilli at 14:30.

After eating it was late into the evening before I was hungry again and this time it was back to a manageable level.

Mood and Vitality

Before the Chilli meal I walked a fifty minute round trip to town and back. Despite the hunger I felt physically good and had the same mental vitality all day, although the pre-meal hunger was distracting and I was less productive.

Exercise

I did a 30 min, low intensity session on the exercise bike in the evening. Like the run on Monday and the walk earlier that day, I felt good.

Mistakes and Observations

Lesson learned - never skip a main meal - ever. Especially prior to a fast day. Even if you're going to be snacking with friends, take the calorie hit of a proper meal before. It is the balanced meals that make the fast days quite easy.

Regarding snacks - I'm not a big fan of the term 'empty calories' because there is no such thing. Snacks are mostly fat and carbohydrate based, a lack of balance that means your body digests them in no time, either using as fuel, storing or digesting as waste. You're hungry again very soon after. Don't swap them for a meal.

One meal or two? Two meals gives you something to look forward to. One meal is a tough ask, even if I had eaten properly the night before.



A summary of the week here

The Fast Diet website
The Fast Diet on Amazon UK
Horizon

No comments: