Saturday 22 June 2013

Review: Dirty Weekend (Kindle)

Superb!
It's always a pleasure as I make my way through a book, realising a quality above the usual. Especially turning the last page and knowing the book now ranks as an all-time great. This is rare. In the last year American Gods and Cloud Atlas rank as such. I'd also read Helen Zahavi's Donna and the Fatman, sometimes titled Donna's Revenge, which stood shoulder to shoulder with these two in quality if not genre. Donna was sublime. I bought Helen's other two books immediately, but until last Sunday I hadn't read either. Mostly because I didn't want them to spoil the esteem I held for the first - if that makes any sense at all. But I couldn't sleep Sunday and reached for the Kindle. One thing led to another, and I started reading Dirty Weekend.

Bella is a fragile and quite attractive woman, a person quite happy for the world to pass by. Unfortunately it seldom does. Her need for seclusion attracts unwanted attention. It starts with intimidating calls in the middle of the night, then personal threats as she tries to enjoy a few hours in the sun. Bella has nowhere to turn or run. Tired of a life persecuted by men who think they can own her, something trips in Bella's mind and she decides to run no more.

Any worries Dirty Weekend might taint my love of Donna and the Fatman was dispelled about two lines in. Dirty Weekend is not only possessed of the same original and sublime narrative, it defines a wonderful heroine we can admire and fear a little. Imagine Dirty Harry with the badge and scowl swapped out for a red silk dress, stilettos and a disarming smile.

Undoubtably literary throughout but easily bridging the entertainment divide, Dirty Weekend is a compulsive tale of revenge against society and the many aspects of it we accept, that with closer thought, probably shouldn't. The characters are all distinct and familiar to us in everyday life. The themes echo feminism but never preach, just lay out the facts. Both Donna and Bella have wildly entertained, stimulated and refined my interactions with women. Which is something quite special I believe.

I cannot recommend Dirty Weekend highly enough, which I would urge you to read first. Because I have a few theories about where the eloquent Donna (and the Fatman) come from.

I hope this was helpful.

No comments: